Thursday, January 7, 2010

How late is too late for a Happy New Year email?

I opened my inbox today - January 7th - to find a Happy New Year email from KnockKnock.



The subject line was "Happy New Year from KnockKnock!" Now, while I realize that, yes, it is January, and yes, the content of the email definitely supported the New Year theme (very well, I might add) it seemed somewhat jarring to me to get a New Year's email this many days into the year. Most of the New Year emails I received were sent anywhere between the last week of December and the 5th of January. Even though that was only 2 days ago, it was much more timely than this.

Although the New Year isn't a date-specific holiday, like Christmas or Thanksgiving, readers still expect to see New Year's content around January 1st. To me, this was like getting a Valentine's email on the 18th of February.

And on a related timing note, I also received this email from Organize.com today:


Is it me, or is it REALLY premature to offer the "biggest sale of the year" 7 days into said year? Doesn't leave their customers much to look forward to for the other 11 months of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment